Monday 4 February 2008

Asus Eee 2G Surf 7 inch Micro Laptop PC

Asus Eee 2G Surf 7" Micro Laptop PC (800 MHz Intel Celeron Processor, 512 MB RAM, 2 GB Hard Drive, Linux Preloaded) Blush Pink

Just love it!!
Despite buying a Dell laptop in December 2007 I wanted something that was a little more mobile than the Dell. I saw the EEE on Amazon and fell in love with it. I ordered my 4 Gig White Surf EEE on January 29th from Amazon.com and received the unit the next day. Despite reading reviews on Amazon.com that it looked "cheap", this looks and feels as real as a regular laptop computer. I have programmed it so that I can use the advanced desktop settings and have established Wifi with my home networking. At the moment I am still exploring its many features but so far I am loving every inch of this little machine. I am still waiting on my card. Hopefully it will be here this week.

Even though I have only had it for nearly a week now, I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a device that is ultra portable and gets the job done. The keyboard does take a getting used to but I am confident that I will in time. I mainly use the Eee to surf the net and check email. I had no problems at all in connecting with my wireless internet. I ordered a memory card for the Eee but haven't recieved it yet.
Buy Laptop

4G Surf ONLY
This is concerning the 4G Surf models only. Amazon throws all the reviews (and product specs) under one heading, even thought here are some differences between them. That isn't Asuss fault; it is Amazon's, but I wanted to point his out.

Here are some things to keep in mind with this:
There is no web cam with the 4G Surf. (no big deal to me, but others should know)

The 4G Surf memory is upgradeable, but it is a project compared to the 4G. It isn't impossible, but it is more in depth and I am putting that off for another week or so. The extra memory is inexpensive though, and I definitely would encourage picking up 1G.

After being on for a while (maybe an hour, maybe two) the touch pad loses all sensitivity. The design seems to have heat sinks under the touch pad (just a guess) and it heats up just enough to make it useless. I recommend you also purchase a USB mouse so you aren't stuck.

It arrives with Linux installed, and it is wonderful. I am keeping my system Linux, though I may install Ubuntu. The only problem I found with Linux is it isn't compatible with my Canon software. Therefore, I also bought a small compact flash card reader so I can transfer my photos. The image editor included doesn't support Canon's RAW format, which is what I shot, but it does support most others.

Pick up a SD card to use for extra space. I bought the 8G Amazon has for less then $40. The laptop recognized it right away, but my two other systems weren't able to.

All things considered, I believe this will be the next wave in computers. I would recommend this to almost every one.

Play, relax, and entertain on the go with shock-proof design. At 7" and weighing only 2lbs, you can take the Eee PC anywhere. Bumps and shocks are no longer issues. With a dependable solid-state disk, you get unparalleled shock-protection and reliability. Power-efficient design provides longer operating time when on the go. With a rapid start-up time that takes only 15secs to boot, the Eee PC is always ready to get into action. No technical manual required with the specially designed, user-friendly and intuitive graphic interface. You're always connected with built-in WiFi 802.11 b/g that automatically detects and connects to the Internet at any hotspot. The Eee PC includes the documents and the e-mails software, and a suite of other productivity software to help keep you on track. Upload photos and videos and share them instantly on Flickr or YouTube without waiting till you get home. Enjoy music and videos with extensive support for a wide range of digital multimedia. Log on to Skype or other network, and you can connect with friends anywhere, anytime. Clear up wire clutter with the built-in speakers, and microphone. Since it's so easy to use and durable this makes a perfect gift for children, elderly or as a second lightweight notebook. Intel Mobile CPU Intel UMA graphics 512MB memory 2GB flash hard drive Memory Card Reader - MMC/SD (SDHC) Over 40 built-in applications for learn, work and play Linux based operating system 3 USB 2.0, 1 VGA, 1 Audio jack out, 1 Audio jack in, 1 RJ-45 Approximate Unit Dimensions - 8.86 (W) x 6.3 (D) x 0.79~1.26 (H) Approximate Unit Weight - 2lbs

Technorati tags: , , , , , .

No comments:

Post a Comment