Monday 14 January 2008

Asus Eee 4G-Galaxy 7 inch PC Mobile Internet Device

Asus ( 512 MB RAM, 4 GB Hard Drive, Webcam, Linux Preloaded)
Play, relax, and entertain on the go with shock-proof design. At 7" and weighing only 2lbs, you can take the Eee PC anywhere. Bumps and shocks are no longer issues. With a dependable solid-state disk, you get unparalleled shock-protection and reliability. Power-efficient design provides longer operating time when on the go. With a rapid start-up time, the Eee PC is always ready to get into action. No technical manual required with the specially designed, user-friendly and intuitive graphic interface. You're always connected with built-in WiFi 802.11 b/g that automatically detects and connects to the Internet at any hotspot. The Eee PC includes the documents and the e-mails software, and a suite of other productivity software to help keep you on track. Upload photos and videos and share them instantly on Flickr or YouTube without waiting till you get home. Enjoy music and videos with extensive support for a wide range of digital multimedia. Log on to Skype or other network, and you can connect with friends anywhere, anytime. Clear up wire clutter with the built-in card reader, camera, speakers, and microphone. Since it's so easy to use and durable this makes a perfect gift for children. 512MB memory 4GB flash drive Built-in webcam Over 40 built-in applications for learn, work and play Linux based operating system 2 Year Limited Warranty Approximate Unit Weight - 2lbs Windows compatibility but comes with Linux OS only


Almost perfect except for that keyboard
First, here's what was done right.

I can put the power cord in my pocket. No laptop carrying case necessary. This is brilliant.

Ctrl+Alt+T pops up console, and KDE's "konsole" program is just one command away. 80% of my time on this machine is spent using this one program. It works perfectly out of the box.

Firefox (including all of the plugins I usually have to install manually) Just Works.

Wireless comes very close to "Just Works". The simple connection software doesn't track wep keys per connection (that I've been able to figure out), and there are a few UI issues. But "/etc/init.d/network restart" works as well as it always did.

The screen? It's small. It doesn't work well for google maps. It works fine for everything else.

In short, this is a really, really impressive laptop. And it has a bash shell. That's about all I need.

Now let's talk about the keyboard.

It's small. That's fine, I have small fingers. Evidently, my typing style is such that I never use the right shift key, so that hasn't bothered me either. The frustration comes from being able to hit a key (the worst offender is 'n'), feel it go all the way down, and not have anything happen. This only happens when coming in from the corner instead of directly on the middle of the key, and doesn't happen all of the time. But it happens often enough to really slow me down as a typist.


All of this may seem a little unfair -- this machine wasn't designed for 10-hour coding sessions, but that's what I use it for. My error rate is (slowly) going down, and perhaps after a few iterations there will be a model with the smaller equivalent of the Dell QuietKey. Until then, I'm keeping this one and (mostly) loving it, but I'm very reluctant to recommend it to anyone else who would be doing any serious typing on it.

If you're looking for a computer to do mostly quick web browsing and email, this is just about perfect.

Sleep mode useless
There's plenty of good features to this laptop as you can see from the other reviews. It has, however two flaws that you should know about:

1. the right shift key is in a non standard place
2. the sleep mode is basically useless - the laptop uses too much energy when it's in sleep mode so it will shutdown (without closing programs) in just a few hours.

the shift key issue can be fixed - google asus eee users forum for details
the sleep mode problem is a deal breaker for me.

eeexcellent pc!
I purchased this machine as a travel pc and have to admit that it's a fun little pc to use. The start up is quick - really quick. We needed quick directions. Got them in less than 3 minutes. The other laptop and desktop were still booting up. I was wary of Linux operating system having never used it, but it is so user friendly. It's just like windows - only different icons. I connected it to my home and office network in a snap. In less than 10 minutes I was browsing the web. I thought the small 7" screen would not allow full screen view and scrolling, but it does. I have only had a few sites where I have to horizontal scroll but i can live with that.

The pc comes preloaded with very usable applications. I love OpenOffice. I can work on WORD and Excel docs. on the fly. and i dont have to carry the heavier laptop as much. It fits in my travel bag. I am typing this review on it. The keyboard is a little small and takes a little getting use to. But having used small notebooks before it is very workable. It may be a problem for men with large fingers.

I let a 7 and 12 year old use it and they love it. The small keys are perfect for them and it is very durable. It has been knocked around a few times and is solid. They love carrying it around because of the wireless. They have gone to all their favorite sites and I have yet to hear of audio or video not playing.

All in all this is a great little lap top. Ideal for kids, travel, fun. Great to have in car with kids. It's light, durable and a great addition to home or office. It even allows for you to convert to Windows operating system. But why would you? It even looks cool. People ask all the time is it a real laptop? Get one, you wont regret it.

Technorati tags: , , , .

No comments:

Post a Comment