Monday 14 July 2008

HP 2133 KX869AT#ABA 8.9-Inch Mini-Note Laptop


HP 2133 KX869AT#ABA 8.9-Inch Mini-Note Laptop (1.2 GHz VIA C7-M Processor, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10)
It might be small in size but it's big on usability, durability, and attractiveness. Packed with an impressive combination of features, the HP 2133 offers you a full-function PC with the utmost mobility. Plus, its simple, refined design and all-aluminum case make it sleek and sturdy yet super lightweight.Weighing in at just 1.27 kg, with a large 8.9-inch WXGA display, the HP 2133 Mini-Note PC features a durable design with a robust suite of wireless, multimedia and security capabilities to allow users to stay productive.

Customer Review: Nearly perfect (for its intended purpose)

Firstly, this review is being written on the 1.6Ghz, HP2133 Mini Note with 2Gb RAM and Vista Home Basic (which was installed at the factory). I have also read the myriad comments in the other reviews about poor CPU performance and warm operation. Therefore, I'll avoid similar statements, only to say that I have also noticed these issues under certain circumstances.



Nevertheless, I have turned off most of the useless bells and whistles in Vista and customised the OS to work adequately for the tasks I perform. And what I do isn't necessarily trivial. I have Office 2007 installed and it works fine to write university assignments and work reports, etc. Word, with the screen set to "page width" view is readable and as functional as my desktop. I also installed Adobe CS3. Yes, it can be slow at times, but it performs well enough to get the job done (using InDesign, Photoshop and occasionally, Dreamweaver). However, I understood when I bought the Mini Note, that it was not designed for multimedia production, but more for multimedia presentation and for basic computing. It is NOT a desktop replacement and was never intended to be.



The more I use my 2133, the more I love it. That doesn't mean I haven't noticed some negative issues (other than those highlighted in other reviews). I'll outline these below.



I won't comment on the touchpad, because I rarely use it. Most of the time, I use the Mini Note on a desk or on my briefcase (placed on my lap), so I plug in a laptop mouse. I would do this with ANY laptop or notebook. However, the Mini Note does allow for more space to use a mouse than a conventional laptop. Once I have finished using the Mini Note, it fits in my briefcase with all my other stuff.



Talking of placing the Mini Note in a briefcase; I am astonished that there isn't a case or bag for it. Most laptop bags are too big and would defeat the purpose of buying the Mini Note. As a result, I use a cloth bag I got with a mixer tap (faucet) I bought for a renovation. It is the perfect size to protect against scratches and marks. This is not to say the nice brushed aluminium (aluminum) case is susceptible to scratches; it's not, I just like to protect my equipment.



The Mini Note's screen hinge and battery design prevents any connectors from being located at the back of the unit (where I'd like them). Hence, all the connections are on the left and right sides of the machine. I usually plug the notebook mouse into the left USB port and run the cable around the back of the Mini Note to the right side. This keeps the cable out of the way and gives me more room on the right for the mouse. This is OK if I am working off the battery. But when the Mini Note is connected to mains power, the huge power plug that sticks out the right side is quite annoying and can get in the way of the mouse. HP, take note; please redesign the next series to have an "L" shaped connector to keep it out of the way.



Some other reviewers mentioned the lack of battery life. I agree with this, too. Nevertheless, there are configuration tweaks you can apply to help maximise battery life. In the BIOS I turn off the hardware I don't regularly use, such as Bluetooth, LAN, Express card, web cam, etc. If I need them, I just turn them back on.



Now, the screen; I love it. At 1280x768, it is bright and sharp, therefore, usable. Yes, it presents some text and menus in tiny fonts, but at the distances most people would use this machine, the screen is readable. Most web sites fit within the browser view port without horizontal scrolling. I'd prefer this over the offerings from other UMPC manufacturers.
I know I said I wouldn't mention the temperature issues, but, I feel compelled to state that after an hour or so spent writing this review (I was distracted by a phone call) the Mini Note is hardly warmer than the ambient room temperature. Of course, this is just running Word 2007. But, as far as I am concerned, this is the sort of thing the Mini Note is designed for; simple productivity tasks.
Additionally, one reviewer stated that the CPU fan runs flat-out all the time. He obviously missed the setting in the BIOS that lets you turn this "feature" off. Normally, the Mini Note runs very quietly, as is the case with mine right now. Although, I must admit that twice now, when waking from "sleep" mode, the fan in my Mini Note seemed to get stuck on full speed. A reboot fixed this, which implies it is an OS problem, not the hardware.
What would make the Mini Note perfect? OK, a faster CPU would definitely be welcome. Secondly, the 225mm (8.9") screen is fine; however, the lid has a lot of wasted real estate. After moving the speakers, it could accommodate a screen 50mm (2") larger (275mm or 11"). Even at the same resolution, this would make the Mini Note considerably better.
That seems to sum up all my main thoughts on the Mini Note. But suffice to say, after another hour using it, I love it even more. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment